Mar 28, 2008

diagnosing the self portrait

this little ditty from the Jerusalem Post:
"A plastic surgeon at Assaf Harofeh Medical Center has taken a closer look at the self-portraits of the great 17th-century Dutch artist Rembrandt van Rijn and concluded that he suffered from mild depression, but not a serious disease as has been believed."

When I first read this, I thought... "oh my, what will a plastic surgeon think about me (personally) someday?". Already, I have met or talked to folks who were preparing themselves for meeting with me. Thinking I would be this terrifyingly aggressive and/or mentally unstable artist. Most come to realize I am "cuddlier than expected in real life", as one later remarked on her site.

I was happy to learn after googling around for other information and/or results from this type of psychological research, that little, if any existed beyond this one instance from Assaf Harofeh Medical Center. I say I was happy because I don't believe all self-portraits are shot with the same intention. Some may shoot for lack of models, some for fun, some (as in my case) may find that without really having a clear concept or idea in mind before a shoot, that giving direction with no direction is quite impossible.


1 comment:

Katy said...

It's funny how people interpret things. When I've used myself in my own photographs I've been accused of being a narcissist, when nothing could be further from the truth. It is in fact for similar reasons to why Francesca Woodman used herself as well, "it's a matter of convenience, I am always available". It is also away of confirming my existence to myself, proving to myseld this is real.